Rowans EMU Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Audio Studies A - Creative Project

Staring Into The Abyss
Rowan Bunney

3'03

I wrote the source material for this song starting by programming the whole drum beat first using 'Drum kit From Hell Superior', then I added two rhythm guitar tracks that essentially follow the drums, then the bass and finally some ambient guitar tracks to make it sound a little more eerie. However, I had to chop up the drums and re-structure some parts to give it more of a song feel before I began tracking the other elements. The song is recorded in dropped-A tuning using heavy gauge strings. The main focus being the rhythmic aspect of the guitars rather than adding melody, so I thought using a low tuning was most suitable. I added some abrasive panning automation to the short intro and a fade-in on some of the tracks as well as a fade out on the master fader, at the end, during the last riff. I also used mute automation on the rhythm guitar tracks and bass during in sections of guitar riffs that had small gaps to make them sound a little tighter. Equalisation and slight compression was added to most tracks in order to tidy up and shape sounds (EQ) as well as remove unwanted noise (EQ) and control the dynamic range (Compression). Main influence: Fredrik Thordendal (Guitarist).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home