Rowans EMU Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

EMU Blog - Week 12 Blog - REAL WORLD RECORDS

Real world studio’s is a cutting edge recording studio founded by the highly successful musician Peter Gabriel as well as WOMAD. The Real World project’s main objective revolves around promoting world music/ artists and giving them exposure they otherwise may not have. As a point of interest, Peter Gabriel himself has released all of albums since 1989 on the Real World Records label. The Real World Record label has introduced such musicians as Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Yungchen Lhamo and Youssou N'Dour to Western culture. The former I have found in my parents CD collection at home, I think it was purchased from the latest WOMAD festival. The studio's best-selling musical group, other than Peter Gabriel, has been the Afro Celt Sound System, who embrace a ‘fusion’ type elements combining African and Celtic rhythms and melodies.

Coming from someone new to the Real World project, I believe it has given an outlet and also a chance to collaborate, to artists from around the word, that never would have previously (or even had the chance to) collaborate. This is an exiting premise alone.

As an extra note, I mentioned earlier the affiliation with WOMAD, the other founding part of Real World Records, has been a highly successful event travelling around the globe. I have been fortunate enough to get to two of these events myself. All I can say is, I would recommend anyone else reading this ‘Blog’ to go out and experience it, you definitely won’t regret it. There is such a diverse range of music from around the globe brought together in one event that you cannot possibly pass it up. I plan on continuing to go for years to come.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_World_Records

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home